I can see the difference between the two cultures when looking at baby furniture. I hadn’t heard of a changing table until Yea was expecting, which was around 3 years ago. Even then, I thought, why? I know that with Hae Jin she didn’t even have a crib. She slept with my parents or on my mom’s back using the Korean wrap or between 2 pillows.
I do remember that my mom had a baby tub, which I recall her using like once and I recall b/c I have actual pictures. There were no gliders/rockers for Hae Jin. We sat on the sofa and rocked ourselves. I think Hae Jin had a stroller when she was like 2. Hm…what about a car seat? I’m sure we got her a car seat, right? To think about it, I don’t remember if we ever did. How so unsafe, huh? But she turned out well (so far – haha). I suppose all these items are to make it easier on the mother and for that I’m grateful but the price associated with these comforts….hmmm…makes me wonder.
One thing I know I’ll definitely get is the diaper champ or something like that. I am so not into smelling poop and am grateful for modern inventions. I’m not saying that I would revert to my parent’s style of no nursery. It’s just funny because I find myself questioning everything we “should” get and it’s probably because I’m remembering how we didn’t have those items for Hae Jin. Was it really 17 years ago that she was brought home wrapped up like an egg roll? Wow. Time flies so quickly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
if you and tim plan on having a sex life, GET A CRIB!
can you believe the traditional korean podaegi is being used by westerners as a baby carrier? so you can do it the korean way if you want! i actually like some of the prints they have now...
as for a crib, ours is currently used mainly as a laundry hamper or a place for toys...you might consider the co-sleeper sleigh bed, which is kinda like a crib but can also be attached to your bed as a co-sleeper so baby's just an arm's reach away...it also converts to a small love seat...
it depends on your temperament i suppose...i was way too lazy to get my ass out of bed to feed during the night...
Post a Comment