Monday, March 28, 2005

My hair overshadowed the baby

Yesterday was Easter. Tim and I went to church expecting to be crowded with congratulation, advise, and remarks. Service ended and we went to the fellowship hall. People came up to Heddie and Tim but didn't even notice of me. As they kept talking to Heddie I'd see these chinky eyes turn round with surprise as they realize it was me. They would comment on my hair and how they wondered who I was. In the Korean way we ignore people we don't recognize and only talk to the person we know. No introductions or trying to make the stranger feel welcomed, which un-nerves Tim b/c I do that to him when I'm at church (I am learning). It's quite Korean to just say "hi" without ever knowing their name but quite un-American to not formally introduce - sigh - another time another blog.

Well, by the 3rd church member it hit me that I hadn't been at my parent's church for a year. We were vacationing in Thailand during Christmas, so no one had seen the new hair style. They would say, "oh I recognized Tim, but wondered who this woman was next to him."

I didn't realize the full impact of my hair until we left, when I realized that I was approached by 2 people who congratulated me on pumpkin compared to the 10 who kept talking about my hair. I'm sure the next time (Mother's Day) they will get used to my hair and realize the pumpkin inside - unless I shave my head - hmmmmmm

No comments: