A few years ago I purchased STD for maternity leave. My company does not provide it, which sucks. Anyway I called to ask about the process and learned that I get 6 weeks of STD pay when I had originally thought it would be 12 weeks. Quite disappointing, but they explained to me that unless the dr. finds medical reasons to why I can’t return to work after 6 weeks my STD is only paid for 6 weeks (8 weeks for a c-section).
Not that knowing this earlier would make me feel better but it would have been nice if someone was clear about it. Of course they could have and I didn’t listen. Regardless, it sucks to know that it’s only for 6 weeks when I had originally thought it was for 12. I’m still planning to take the full 12 weeks.
On a plus side, I found out that even though I don’t return back to work until the end of January, they won’t be deducting my vacation time for year 2006. I didn’t think they would but you just never know about company policies. So if anything I get January off and still get my paid holidays next year for a trip or two w/ baby boy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
OMG EJ! You might as well kiss that 1 or 2 trips goodbye! Traveling with a baby is not as easy as it seems. You and Tim will really long for a trip, but baby Buzzard might have thoughts of his own on the matter, but maybe you and Tim can handle the stress and chaos of traveling better than me...ha ha ha...
That's awesome you're taking 12 weeks off.
how well baby does on trips depends on baby, of course...but you can always prepare by getting baby used to driving in a car buckled into a carseat...maybe start w/ short gettaways...and if he's good in a carseat, then no problemo...i had to sit in the back w/ cadence our entire raodtrip to CT and rotate all her toys and books...but we survived...we just figured in a rest every couple of hours, and she was fine...actually, i think doing trips when baby is little is easier than when they're bigger, esp if you breastfeed...then you don't have to worry about preparing food...just get real good sticking baby on boob, and everybody's happy!
we're flying to seattle in sept. and after the roadtrip, we're not even worried...
to Sierra...i'm glad you guys were fortunate to have a cooperative baby...some other parents are not so fortunate.
I just laugh at future parents who think traveling will be a breeze cuz that's what I thought..."just throw in some diapers and wipes and toys...what's the big deal?" Ha! That's why people say to soon to be parents to get all your traveling in before the baby comes. But nothing about parenting is as simple as 1,2,3. But so much fun as well.
hi wany--
i wouldn't say cadence is all that cooperative of a baby...i actully concluded this weekend that she's a strong-willed, persistent character but also very confident, and i know we've got our work cut out for us...i used to dread doing errands in a car with cadence when she was younger because she absolutely hated going slower than 45mph, and since we live in chicago, well, it's a given that we're usually going more like 15mph...i think if i'd been bolder and gotten her used to being in her carseat more, she would've done better on the roadtrip...it's funny because my husband thinks the trip was a big success, but he wasn't in the backseat with her the whole time comforting and entertaining her like i was (i was a nervous wreck during most of the drive)...i can guarantee that we will NOT be doing anymore roadtrips in a car until cadence is old enough to entertain herself and understand english a little better... preferably our vacations will be by plane...at least i'll be able to pick her up and walk her up and down the aisles if she gets cranky...
it's funny cuz everyone says that babies just automatically go to sleep in the car and love to drive around...hopefully, baby buzzard will be one of those babies...mine sure wasn't!
p.s. your little girl is absolutely adorable!
Post a Comment